Sunday, January 16, 2011
Australian Open Preview -- Men's Draw
4. Robin Soderling -- No matter how much he wins, he just doesn't seem to belong up here with the big guns. And honestly, if Juan Martin Del Potro hadn't gotten hurt last year, I don't think Soderling is in the top four right now.
5. Andy Murray -- Murray faces the same hurdle that Djokovic does, with the added weight of having never won a grand slam final. It's a long, steep hill. It's doubtful that he'll make it to the top this time around.
7. David Ferrer -- Do I really have to profile the rest of them? Ferrer is a good player. He'll make whomever he faces in the quarter-final work for the victory.
9. Fernando Verdasco -- Ditto Verdasco, except it's his first major he's always / never ready to win.
10. Mikhail Youzhny -- Youzhny has virtually no chance of getting beyond the quarter-finals.
11. Jergen Melzer -- If Del Potro starts playing like Del Potro, Melzer won't even live up to his seed.
12. Gael Monfils -- The Jelena Jankovic of the men's draw. He may not win, but he'll make a headline or two before he's done.
13. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga -- It's hard to believe it was just three years ago that Tsonga thumped Nadal in the semi-finals here. He'll be lucky to get out of the fourth round this year.
14. Nicolas Almagro -- Almagro's got Djokovic in the fourth round. Enough said.
15. Marin Cilic -- Cilic has Nadal.
Nadal defeats Murray
Federer defeats Djokovic