Wednesday, March 2, 2011

American Idol Semifinals -- Top 12 Boys

So, I was wondering why we were doing the top 24 this week when they said all along that they were doing away with the semifinals this year. Now I understand. One shot for each of them and then we get the top five guys and top five gals. I don't know for sure, but it looks like they are just going to announce the wild cards on Thursday night. On with the show.


Clint Jun Gamboa (Superstition) -- Between the Hollywood week shenanigans (kicking Jacee Badeaux out of his group) and those ugly glasses, I just don't like this guy. The music is way too loud. It's making him shout. This is actually a pretty good performance, but I still don't like him.

Jovany Barreto (I'll Be) -- This was a really poor song choice when you've only got one shot to showcase your voice and who you are. Plus, this is certainly not the best he's sounded. He's one of the guys I really like, but I smell trouble.

Jordan Dorsey (OMG) -- I'm having a hard time getting into him. He looks really awkward up there. And I don't love the way he sounds tonight either. The whole thing was kind of a mess.

Tim Halperin (Sweetcomer Symphony) -- So far I'm not super impressed by anyone tonight. He looks really uncomfortable without his keyboard in front of him. He sounds better than the last two guys, but still not great.

Brett Lowenstern (Light My Fire) -- I don't really like the way he enunciates words sometimes. The second half of the song was way better than the first half. I like this kid a lot, so I hope he makes it through.

James Durbin (You've Got Another Thing Coming) -- I love this guy. I love his voice, his look, his back story (even though I only half believe it). He's one of my favorites of the guys. I think he's one of the few who knows exactly who he is.

Robbie Rosen (Angel) -- I also love this kid, but he's not as good tonight as he's been. Hopefully this is good enough to get him through, but he's going to have to step it up if he's going to make it very far.

Scotty McCreery (Letters From Home) -- I just realized that he looks like Alfred E. Newman. Unlike Robbie, he's actually better tonight than he was during Hollywood week. I thought he was going to choke, but he pulled it off tonight.

Stefano Langone (Just the Way You Are) -- He sounds good, but his facial expressions are a little bit annoying. And I don't think it's easy to compare favorable to Bruno Mars. But I hope he gets through because I like him. And I think his personality will get him some votes.

Paul McDonald (Maggie May) -- Good song choice for his voice. His teeth are soooo white. I have a feeling that he's going to get lost among this group but he's definitely good enough for the top 12.

Jacob Lusk (A House Is Not a Home) -- Based on how I feel about Tamyra Gray's performance of this song, I recuse myself from judging this.

Casey Abrams (I Put a Spell on You) -- This guy is mad talented and I love his stage presence. Even without an instrument, he owned the stage. He's the closest thing there is to a lock to make the top 12.

Here are my top five:

1. James Durbin

2. Casey Abrams

3. Jacob Lusk

4. Robbie Rosen

5. Scotty McCreery

Wild Card Pick: Brett Lowenstern or Paul McDonald


What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment