Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Tweenybopper

So the first four days of the month I was trying this “one-word title” gimmick. But I'm having trouble condensing the idea for tonight's post – Five Songs I Love that I'm Pretty Sure I'm Supposed to Hate – into one word. I'll think on it while I'm writing. If I do come up with a one-word title, I'll leave this paragraph here so at least you'll know what the hell this is supposed to be about.





1. C'mon (Ke$ha) – Even I think I'm supposed to hate Ke$ha. It just seems like the right thing to do. But in all honesty, my hatred of her music stems from one thing I read probably in 2009. I was reading an article that called her “the poor man's Lady Gaga”. First of all, I don't really think of Lady Gaga as being high rent. But then I listened to about 30 seconds of a Ke$ha song and I was thoroughly insulted. I don't remember what the name of the song was. I just know it sounded like someone who really hated melody recorded it to destroy music for good. That was enough for me to vow never to listen to another one of her songs as long as I lived.

But she tricked me. I heard C'mon on Spotify and I wasn't paying attention to who it was. I just thought it was a catchy tune so I decided to download it. Imagine my horror when I found out who was responsible for it. But I have to come clean. I freakin love this this song. Not only is the hook exactly as poppy and repetitive as I like hooks to be, but she somehow manages to get saber-tooth tiger, kosher and lollipop into the lyrics. I'm sorry. That's just genius songwriting.




2. We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (Taylor Swift) – Taylor Swift is also someone that I decided based on one song several years ago I didn't like. Since it seems like just about everyone in the world loves to hate her, I felt justified and supported in my disdain. But then two things happened to change that. One was seeing her at the American Music Awards just dancing and having a good time (a good friend suggested that it seemed like she was just trying to look like she was down to earth because it's good for her image, but I don't think I agree with that). I liked that she seems to be the anti-Bieber. He is so set on insisting people respect him and his music that he just looks like a giant douchebag. It really seems to me like Taylor Swift couldn't care less if anyone respects her craft as long as she's getting rich and winning awards.

The second thing was the goat version of I Knew You Were Trouble (if you haven't seen it, click here). I probably would have never given that song a second listen until the goat version. Instead, I never get sick of hearing it. And that, in turn, has caused me to rethink the whole idea of Taylor Swift. Enter this song. It reminds me (vaguely) of Kelly Clarkson's Behind These Hazel Eyes (which is a waaaaay better song). It's a really fun song with a really silly, unfortunate hook and title. And when she sighs “This is exhausting” toward the end of the song, I flash back to just about every fight with every boyfriend I've ever had. I must have uttered that exact phrase a thousand times.




3. Beauty and a Beat (Justin Bieber featuring Nicki Minaj) – Speaking of the Bieber. Douchebag or not, I've already admitted to liking two or three of his songs in the past. This one is a double whammy though, because Nicki Minaj is involved and hardly anyone gets on my nerves more than her. Turns out, two horrible wrongs must create a perfect right because I don't just like this song, it's one of my favorites of the year so far. I am curious as to what is so special about 3012 that is going to be worthy of such elaborate and raucous partying.




4. Feel This Moment (Pitbull featuring Christina Aguilera) – Now this one I'm not completely sure about. I had no idea I was supposed to hate Pitbull until friends started posting on Facebook how little they thought of him. Honesty, while I can't say I'm the biggest Pitbull fan on the planet, I've liked most of the songs of his I've heard on the radio. This one is no different. And I love Christina Aguilera so I'm all over this song.




5. Kiss You (One Direction) – Really, by this point in the game I think everyone who knows me has resigned themselves to the idea that any song a 13-year-old girl loves is going to end up on my year-end favorites list. Look for this one (and probably all the rest on this list) to be right there in December.

No comments:

Post a Comment