Thursday, August 16, 2012

PvD, PvD, PvD!!

Tonight's post is all about the song. Five years ago tomorrow marks the infamous “PvD in Central Park” debacle. If you read my blog regularly, you know the story of what happened when I decided to go to the Paul van Dyk concert in Central Park in August, 2007. If you're new to the blog or just don't remember, you can read about it here: Phree or here: Saturday in the Park. Yep, that's right. There are two separate blog posts about it (August 26, 2010 and August 14, 2011). That's the awesome part of having ADD. I just keep doing things over and over because I don't remember I've already done them.




[About the song: This is the radio edit of the Paul van Dyk remix of the Linkin Park song, Burn it Down. I'm going to post the extended version at the end of the post. This song has been tearing up my iPhone since I first heard it three weeks ago. It's making me jones for a PvD concert.]

I feel a tangent coming on. I have read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything at least six times since 2003. I know I loved it. And I can probably tell you one or two short anecdotes from it. But the book is 594 pages long (the illustrated version), I've read it six times and I seriously couldn't tell you one story from beginning to end. That reminds me, I want to read it again. Seventh time's a charm.

Back to PvD. I noticed when I was looking back that the first time I wrote it I stated that the concert took place on August 11. It did not. It was August 17, I think. In the second blog post about it, I wrote that it took place on Saturday, August 17. Except August 17 was a Friday. Memory is an awesome thing. I found this link to the webpage for the event that only adds to my confusion because apparently he played two days in a row. If you've read the post(s) (or once you read one) you'll understand why I have no idea when I saw the concert. Well, technically I only saw 20 minutes of it anyway. It was a disaster. But it was a disaster that helped me see that I was the disaster, so all's well that ends well I suppose.

Anyway, Once I got sober money got really tight. So I didn't get to go to the PvD concert in 2008. Or 2009. Or even 2010. And by then I wasn't even sure I'd still enjoy such an event, having never been to one sober. I knew that I sometimes liked to meditate to PvD's Live in Vancouver set (still do occasionally), but I had no idea how I'd react to him live.

Last year I got the chance to find out. For some reason I went to his website one night. I have no idea why. A couple of times a year I just end up there out of the blue. This was probably in April sometime but I'm sure. When I got there, I saw that he was coming to San Diego in June at some club I'd never heard of (no surprise there – I'd never been to a straight club in San Diego I don't think). I didn't even really think. I just clicked “purchase” and bought two tickets. I had no idea who I would go with. I actually suspected I might end up going alone because I never heard anyone I knew here talk about that kind of music.

I'm not even sure how I ended up going with the friend I went with. He wasn't someone that I did a lot of things with. We talked a lot and definitely got along very well, but we just seemed to have different lives. I guess I must have either heard him say something about trance music or maybe I mentioned PvD and he responded. But however it happened, I asked him if he wanted to go and he said yes.

The long version

Like I said, the post is really all about the song tonight. I'm not going to go into a big description of the concert except to say that we had a blast. I was literally bouncing the whole night I was so happy to be there. It was the one of the best gifts I've given myself in sobriety. And it completely vanquished the miserable association I had with Paul van Dyk for those first years sober. I can't wait to do it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment