Monday, August 1, 2011

100 Words


So, if you are someone that doesn't hang on my every Facebook word (shame on you), you may not know that I've thrown down a challenge for myself this month. It's a two-parter: first, I've committed to watch only one hour of television per day (that includes TV shows downloaded on the internet as well – but I will allow the exception of one film per weekend if desired); second, I'm going to write at least 100 words on my blog every day as well.

If you're wondering why I've decided to do this, you'll probably be nonplussed by my reason – I need to lose at least ten more pounds. I've tried just about everything (including trying to eat less and move more), but I get to a certain point and I go all Oprah. So, I'm thinking outside the box (the idiot box, if you will).

I watch a ton of television. It's ridiculous how obsessed I can get. Just last month, I was lamenting that with all the regular networks in reruns, I would have nothing to watch. After perusing Tivo for a bit, I came up with a couple of options that I hadn't already completely exhausted. TNT has been airing reruns of Numb3rs, which I watched for its last two seasons but never saw much of before that. Great. Six seasons of episodes should keep me busy. Except it's me. And reread the second sentence of this paragraph. About five days into watching the reruns, I realized that they were only running four to six episodes a week. At that rate, I'd still be about four hours a day short of my quota.

So, I started searching Google until I found all six seasons on different bit torrent sites and downloaded them all. That's more like it. Just about every day for the past two weeks has been a Numb3rs marathon. I'd skip the gym to watch. I'd miss meetings because I needed to see what was going to happen next. And of course, the whole time there was always a bag, bowl or plate of something right next to me while I watch3d. Last week when I finally dragged my ass back to the gym, I'd gained five pounds in two weeks. Damn it! So, that's how we got here.

What's the deal with the hundred words then, right? Well, if I don't announce it publicly I'll cheat. And if I don't keep myself accountable through the entire process, I'll quit. Plus, I should be writing every day anyway. I'm hoping if I give myself a jump start, I'll gain some momentum. Someone on Facebook asked if I actually meant to type 1000 words instead of 100. Really? This blog is almost two years old and I still haven't hit my hundredth post. If I could write 1000 words a day, I'd probably still be getting paid to write. So, baby steps. At least 100 words every day. With a little luck, some days might actually be interesting. I'll try to keep it fresh. Maybe I'll throw myself some other mini-challenges throughout the month. If you have any ideas, feel free to throw them out here.

Oh, and just to close a loophole, if I decide to repost something from my old blog (or something I've already written but not posted here) it will be in addition to the 100 words, not instead of. Wish me luck. It could be a very long month.

Oh, I almost forgot. I will be linking every post to the p² to the nth fan page on Facebook, but if you get notified of new posts via email, you'll only be getting notified for this one. I don't want to bombard you all with email every day this month. There'll be something new here every morning when you wake up. Guaranteed. 


3 comments:

  1. I feel like I should give myself a challenge in support of yours...
    Good luck! I'll be reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. petr, i swear i'm going through exactly the same thing! last night i put on my gym clothes and then promptly sat down to watch a movie and then the phillies game - all while stuffing my face! i need a kick in the ass, so if you don't mind, i might be commenting to cheer you on and ask for encouragement at the same time!! maybe i'll start blogging again, too. my last blog was just about my son being away at army basic training, so there's nothing else to write about that. i had been thinking that it might be nice to have a little facebook support group to keep me honest. good luck to you, and i'll be cheering you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently calculated the hours I spend with my good friend, Tele, and made the same decision. Of course, I rejected my own decision when I realized that it would be trajic to miss a second of the new season of Project Runway AND, I'm just now descovering the Sopranos.

    ReplyDelete