Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Mr. Know It All

I started writing a post about tennis today, but because I’m such a tennis nerd it’s completely taken on a life of its own and there is no way I could finish it before midnight tonight. Lucky for me, Kelly Clarkson premiered her new single this afternoon so I don’t even have to try to finish the tennis post until Friday (Tomorrow’s post is just a debrief on my month long writing commitment).


There are very few singers/musicians that I stalk waiting for their next album. But Kelly is at the very top of that list. Hell, I didn’t know about Belinda Carlisle’s A Woman and A Man cd until it had been out for months. So you know I mean business with Ms. Clarkson.


The moment I got the tweet that the song was up on her website, I was on it. I was on the bus at the time so thank GOD I have an iPhone. The song is called Mr. Know It All and I already love it. By the end of the first play of it (there have been many) I was singing along with the chorus.


The sentiment of the song is fairly standard Kelly – it’s not a big shock to find out she’s single after hearing all the songs she writes and sings about bad relationships and jerky guys. But the sound is quite different from her biggest hits. It’s not nearly as big as Since U Been Gone and My Life Would Suck Without You. And it’s not nearly as angry as Never Again. In fact, with both My December and All I Ever Wanted I could almost do a straight song for song match with the songs from Breakaway. But this one sounds different, and I love it. I’m already on the third play just while writing this short post. If the rest of the new album (Stronger – out October 25) is this good I’m going to be in Heaven.


But don’t take my word for it. Listen for yourself.





3 comments:

  1. OK, this is my first listen to it, and all I could think of was this:

    I keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding love.
    I keep bleeding, keep, keep bleeding love.

    You get the gist. It's VERY similar. I love My Kelly, but I was wondering why I didn't love this song. Then I got it... it's because I've heard it before.

    Waiting for the dance mash-up now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i don't know... i'm such a huge fan of "my december" that anything that's remotely pop-ish or r&b just doesn't measure up for me.

    i want another kick-ass rock album from kelly! but apparently those don't sell as well...

    ReplyDelete
  3. The most important thing I have to say is that I'm glad you like it, Petr. It's certainly radio-friendly and I guess she's got to worry about that as much as anybody who isn't a living legend.

    Other than that, it's a retread of a retread of a retread. She's copying herself and so many others that it's hard to comment on it's artistic value. Some might say pop music doesn't have artistic value, but I disagree. It comes, however, from a place that only a few artists are able to consistently reach. I don't think Clarkson is one of those artists, but I think she could be if she didn't need to worry so much about radio airplay.

    ReplyDelete