Friday, August 5, 2011

Horns Blow

Open letter to the woman that blew her horn and nearly knocked me into traffic this morning (and everyone like her):

I want to start off by letting you know that I’ve been on both sides of this. For the first year back in San Diego, my only two modes of transportation were bus and bike. I rode my bike a lot.

Then I got a car. The bike literally (and I’m not using literally in the figurative sense) became covered in cobwebs. Then the water pump in my car decided it only wanted to pump water onto the ground under my car, so I (again literally) dusted off the bike and put it back in use.
The reason I say that is to let you know that I get it. When you’re driving, especially on a road where the speed limit is 50 mph or higher, a bike trudging along on the side of the road can be disconcerting. The lanes are sometimes tighter than they should be and if there are cars flying by in the other lane, it’s not always possible to just switch lanes. So, you see. I understand. It’s a difficult situation.

You know what makes it more difficult (and possibly life-threatening)? BLOWING YOUR FRICKIN HORN as you come up behind me. Are you crazy? I almost jumped out of my skin and off the bike. The only reason to blow your horn as you approach a bicycle is if you actually want to run him over and you’re hoping that his alarm will cause him to lose control and slide out in front of your car.

Besides, I was in the bike lane until it ceased to be a bike lane. I don’t know if you noticed, but it became a bike lane again about 50 yards down the road. What would you have me do? Unfortunately, even though the lane can vanish, I cannot vaporize and rematerialize 50 yards later just because that would be more convenient for you.

Regardless, I’m sorry I gave the finger to the back of your head when I regained my balance. I’m even sorrier that the light turned green before I could I pull up alongside you and scare the hell out of you in return. But I suppose if you are such a nervous driver that you couldn’t even get around a bike without panicking, I might have actually caused you to have a heart attack. I guess it’s just as well.

That is all. Have a nice day.




2 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love you for this. Next time you are in New York I'll have to take you for a training course in "catching up with that asshole to pound on the hood of his/her car to get the last word in".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tru Dat! Do drivers think their cars are so quiet that we don't realize they're behind us? Effers don't deserve horns.

    ReplyDelete